Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Tri-Spiced Onion Rings with Horseradish Dipping Sauce - Gluten Free


My fellow foodies, this is the best recipe for gluten free onion rings I have ever tasted! They are crispy, flavorful, perfectly seasoned and have an out of this world dipping sauce to make them even more delicious (if that is possible!). I found this recipe in my new Gluten Free Every Day Cookbook written by Robert Landolphi. Given the success of Mr. Landolphi's onion ring recipe I am eager to try his recipe for gluten free Flaky Pie Crust next. He promises it will taste as good as Grandma's pie crust. My Grandma's pie crust is amazing, so I must put this claim to the test... time to dip into my recent cherry harvest and make a cherry pie! I like the easy, family friendly recipes in the Gluten Free Every Day Cookbook . I wish I had a copy of it when I was newly gluten free, as it has great tips and advice on gluten free cooking that would have cleared up much of the confusion I felt back then. I appreciate this cookbook at this point on my gluten free journey simply because the recipes are so appealing. For my fellow vegetarians: although there are many recipes in the book that contain meat, I found there to be enough meatless recipes in the book to balance it out nicely (several are for baked goods!). Enjoy this recipe for Mr. Landolphi's phenomenal gluten free Tri-Spiced Onion Rings with Horseradish Dipping sauce. Be sure to leave me a comment and let me know how much you like them!



Tri-Spiced Onion Rings with Horseradish Dipping Sauce - Gluten Free

Horseradish Dipping Sauce

1/2 cup sour cream

2 tablespoons ketchup

1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt

1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1 1/2 teaspoons prepared horseradish

1/4 teaspoon paprika

Batter

1 cup white rice flour

1 tablespoon chili powder

1 tablespoon ground cumin

1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1 teaspoon salt

2 large egg yolks

3/4 cup gluten free beer (I used Redbridge)

Additional Ingredients

Canola oil for deep frying (I used peanut oil)

2 large white onions, cut into 1/2 inch thick rings and separated

For the horseradish sauce: In a small bowl, whisk all the ingredients together and set aside.

For the batter: In a medium bowl, whisk together the white rice flour, chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, and salt. Gradually whisk in the egg yolks and beer until a smooth, thick batter forms.

In a large, heavy saute pan or dutch oven (I used my deep fryer), heat 3 inches of canola oil (I used peanut oil) until it registers 360 degrees on a deep frying thermometer (or until your deep fryer is ready if using one). Dip a few onion rings at a time into the batter and then add to the hot oil, cooking until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Using tongs, transfer the cooked onion rings to paper towels to drain. Repeat with the remaining onion rings until all are cooked. Place the onion rings on a platter and serve with the dipping sauce (tip: as I made the rings, I transferred them to a paper towel lined oven proof platter in a 175 degree oven to keep them warm as I worked). Yield: 6 servings

Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. First doughnuts, now onions rings! What will you prepare for us next? :) Looks so yummy. I want some now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Make some Jen. You really, REALLY should! :) Every once in a while you've just got to say "What the heck" and fry something!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't had these in forever! Especially not since going gf. They look so crispy and perfect, I'm going to give this recipe a try the next time I make burgers!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Sophie. :) Let me know how you like them after you make them... they really do rock!

    ReplyDelete

 
Button and signature by Blogger Boutique.