Friday, October 9, 2009

Cinde's Gluten Free Spotlight - Light Life Tempeh & Odwalla Wholly Grains Tropical Smoothie - Gluten Free

I am so thrilled every time I discover a new gluten free product that actually tastes good! Today I am featuring two new healthy and delicious gluten free foods.




AND

Odwalla Wholly Grains Gluten Free Smoothie


Let's start with the Light Life Tempeh. Here's the situation friends... I am a vegetarian with a tofu aversion. The protein choices for someone in my predicament are pretty slim, especially if you are also following a gluten free diet! Nearly every meat substitute on the market contains wheat starch. Because the texture of tofu gives me the willies, I am limited to cheese (animal rennet free), eggs, nuts and nut butters, plant based protein powders and Amy's Gluten Free-Vegetarian Bistro Burgers.


I had heard of tempeh.... but because it was a soy product my tofu antennae went up. I figured they had to be the same texture so I avoided tempeh. Light Life was kind enough to send me some coupons for their gluten free tempeh. It is quite possibly the only way I would have ever tried it.


Boy, was I ever wrong about tempeh! It tasted NOTHING like tofu! Totally different texture and flavor. Tempeh actually has texture, which you have to chew (yeah!). It is not slimy at all. It does not taste strange in any way. In fact, it is actually delicious! The true test? When I sliced up some Light Life Tempeh and sauteed it in a little olive oil and Gluten free Tamari sauce. My 12 year old came barreling in the kitchen saying "Ummm... what's that good smell?" When I told him it was tempeh I got a puzzled glance. All of that changed at dinner time. My two oldest children each took seconds. My 7 year old was tempeh shy... but who could blame her? I only ate hot dogs and Bumble Bee Tuna (yes, it had to be Bumble Bee) for two years straight when I was that age. According to the prophesies of my Mother when I was but a lass, I should be a 42 year old hot dog right now. ;-) Thank goodness Moms aren't always right!


Light Life only uses natural ingredients in their tempeh. Check this out:

"Tempeh is a wonderful soy food, rich in protein and B vitamins, low in calories and fat and is completely free of any cholesterol. Mild in flavor and easy to digest, tempeh is a great meat substitute in any meal. We use organically grown soybeans in all of our tempeh. All of our tempeh products are Kosher and Pareve. Organic Garden Veggie Tempeh gives you a fresh, garden taste."

Want to see what's in it?

Nutrition Facts
Per Single Serving
Serving Size 4oz. (113g)
Nutrition:
Amount per Serving
Percentage Daily Value
Calories
240

Calories from Fat
90

Fat, g
10
15%
Saturated Fat, g
1.5
8%
Trans Fatty Acids, g*
0

Polyunsaturated Fat, g*
5

Monounsaturated Fat, g*
3

Cholesterol, mg
0
0%
Sodium, mg
10
0%
Potassium, mg*
300
9%
Carbohydrate, g
17
6%
Fiber, g
10
40%
Sugars, g
1

Protein, g
19
38%
Vitamin A, %

0%
Vitamin C, %

0%
Calcium, %

10%
Iron, %

15%
Ingredients
CULTURED ORGANIC SOYBEANS, WATER, ORGANIC CARROTS, LACTIC ACID (FROM PLANT SOURCES), ORGANIC RED & GREEN PEPPERS, ORGANIC ONIONS, YEAST EXTRACT, ORGANIC CELERY SEED, ORGANIC BROWN RICE.

Impressive, huh?

You can purchase Light Life Tempeh at natural markets in the following gluten free flavors:

Organic Soy Tempeh, Organic Garden Veggie Tempeh, Organic Flax Tempeh, and Organic Wild Rice Tempeh. (I am partial to the Wild Rice and Veggie Tempeh).

Now lets talk smoothies.


Odwalla has been a strong presence in the smoothie world for many years. It was pretty cool of them to develop a tropical fruit juice smoothie that contains gluten free whole grains (from brown rice). With two-thirds of the recommended daily intake of essential vitamins you need, Odwalla is a healthful choice a a light breakfast, lunch, or afternoon snack. The gluten free Odwalla Wholly Grains Tropical Medley Smoothie supplies a ton of whole grains, fiber, Vitamins B1 and B2, and antioxidant Vitamins A, C and E. Wholly Grain is has no added sugar and is available in 450 ml (15.2 fl.oz) grab-n-go recyclable plastic bottles.

Odwalla recently sent me a few bottles of their Wholly Grains Tropical Medley Smoothie to sample. I thought it had a delicious taste, and it was very filling. To me it was satisfying enough to be a meal. My youngest child especially loved it. The only downside in my opinion? It is pretty pricey, coming in at just under $4.00 a bottle. If they ever lower the price, it will make regular appearances in my refrigerator.

You can purchase the fiber-filled Odwalla Wholly Grains Tropical Medley smoothie at grocery stores and natural foods stores everywhere.

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Button and signature by Blogger Boutique.