Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Vegetarian Spring Rolls with Thai-Style Peanut Sauce - Gluten Free


I could eat ethnic food every day of the week and never tire of it. Spring rolls are a favorite of mine that I order anytime they are available in Asian restaurants. Recently I learned how to make spring rolls at home! My gluten free spring rolls taste just as good (if not better) than many spring rolls I have tried in restaurants, and guess what? They aren't difficult to make at all, I promise! My husband and I had so much fun making them together. They were a hit with my whole family (the kiddos too!), and the left overs we had for dinner the next day tasted even better the day they were made. Yum!!


These tasty gluten free spring rolls taste great dipped in the smooth Thai Style Peanut Sauce. I used Earth Balance Natural Creamy Peanut Butter to make the sauce. I prefer Earth Balance Natural Peanut Butter over other brands because it contains no sugar, is sweetened only with natural Agave syrup, and contains flax seeds (which are rich in Omega 3 content). Unlike other natural nut butters, Earth Balance Nut Butters need no stirring... hoorah! Give Earth Balance Natural Peanut Butter a try and let me know what you think!


My Gluten Free Vegetarian Spring Rolls with Thai-Style Peanut Sauce are sure to become a fun family favorite in your household too! Both kids and grown ups alike love dipping these fresh tasting finger foods into the nicely seasoned peanut sauce. Whether served as a main dish, appetizer, or side dish, these beauties are delicious, satisfying, and wholesome.


Vegetarian Spring Rolls with Thai-Style Peanut Sauce - Gluten Free

1 1/4 ounces dry rice vermicelli (thin rice noodles), or enough to yield about 1 cup cooked

1 1/4 cup shredded carrots

1 1/4 cup shredded cabbage

2 scallions (white and green parts) sliced very thin

15 fresh basil leaves, chopped

15 fresh mint leaves, chopped

2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped

1/4 cup peanuts, crushed

1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated

1 tablespoon gluten free soy sauce (Tamari)

1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice

1 teaspoon toasted (dark) sesame seed oil

15 (8-inch) round gluten free spring roll wrappers (made from tapioca or rice; in the Asian section of your market)

1 batch Thai Style Peanut Sauce (recipe to follow)

Bring a large pot of water to boil over high heat. Remove from heat and stir in the rice noodles. Let stand 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until soft and opaque. Drain and rinse under cold water for 30 seconds; drain again. Cut into 1-inch lengths and transfer to a large bowl.

Add all of the remaining ingredients, except the rice papers and sauce, to the noodles and mix well.

Prepare a bowl of warm water large enough to dip the rice papers. Working with one at a time, dip the rice paper in the warm water until it begins to soften, 8-10 seconds. Transfer to a flat work surface. Working quickly, put about 1/4 cup filling on each wrapper. Fold the bottom of the wrapper up over the filling, and then fold each side toward the center. Roll from the bottom to the top of each roll, as tightly as you can without ripping the wrapper. Wrap in plastic to keep from drying out. Repeat with remaining wrappers and filling. Serve at room temperature, with Peanut Dipping sauce. Alternatively, refrigerate for a minimum of 2 hours, or overnight, and serve chilled or return to room temperature. Yield: 15 Spring Rolls

Thai-Style Peanut Dipping Sauce - Gluten Free

1/2 cup warm water

1/2 tablespoon sugar

1/2 cup Creamy Peanut Butter (I use Earth Balance Natural Creamy Peanut Butter)

1 1/2 tablespoons gluten free soy sauce (Tamari)

1 tablespoon coconut milk

1 tablespoon fresh lime juice

1 teaspoon Chinese chili paste (use spicy or sweet chili paste depending on your taste preference)

1 large clove garlic, finely chopped

In a small bowl, combine the warm water and sugar, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Add the remaining ingredients, whisking until smooth and well blended. Serve at room temperature. Yield: about 1 1/4 cups sauce.

*Recipe adapted from The Gluten Free Vegetarian Kitchen cookbook.

*For more gluten free meal ideas check visit the Gluten Free Homemaker and check out the What Can I Eat? page.

Enjoy!





10 comments:

  1. This looks so fresh and delicious. Tasty gf recipes like these make me smile :)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look terrific! We are just the opposite and do not eat much ethnic food. I think my family might like these, though. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love making spring rolls at home! Nothing like fresh ingredients and a desire to provide good food for yourself and your family. I also greatly enjoy seeing all the different dipping sauces people come up with. I haven't tried a peanut sauce yet, I just might have to. I'll have to try slicing/mincing up the mint and basil, may make it more palatable for the hubby than full leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Babyfro,

    I hope you enjoy the Thai Peanut Sauce recipe. The recipe called for the mint and basil to be "sliced very thin" (not left whole). I'm Sorry if it sounded like they were meant to be left whole. I have amended the recipe and have used the word "chopped" insted of "sliced very thin". Hopefully this will clarify it for others as well. Thanks for stopping by!

    Cheers!
    Cinde :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these rice wrappers. All the fresh ingredients make the flavors really come out in this dish. They look great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much Brian. :)

    Cheers!
    Cinde

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cindi- Have you come across any other good dipping sauces? I am cooking for someone who is gluten free and allergic to peanuts. Do you think tahini would sub well for peanut butter?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've made this recipe twice now and love that I can cook something super yummy and still gluten free for my family members (mom and sister) that were diagnosed with celiac's disease earlier this year! It's been hard entertaining them-finding fun and yummy things that they can eat...and not feel like I'm somehow missing out, but this recipe is a slam dunk! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tara, SO sorry I didn't see your question earlier; somehow it got published without me seeing it! To answer your question: For people with peanut allergies I would dip the rolls in bottled sweet chili sauce (Thai Kitchen brand is gluten free) and skip making a from scratch sauce all together.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for your lovely comment emosback! So happy your family enjoys my recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Button and signature by Blogger Boutique.