Thursday, August 13, 2009

Creamy Broccoli Cheese Soup - Gluten Free


Do you ever have those nights when the only dinner that sounds good is a homemade bowl of soup? We have those nights often in my house, and not just in the winter. One of our favorite comfort soups any time of year is this super Creamy Broccoli Cheese soup. Broccoli and cheese are meant to go together (think peanut butter and chocolate, or Burt and Ernie). When I am preparing this soup I can barely wait until it's done so I can taste it. It is a quick, easy to prepare meal that everyone (including my veggie phobic children) love. I have the ingredients on hand for this at all times and make it at least once a month. Try it... you'll love it!


Creamy Broccoli Cheese Soup - Gluten Free


1 quart vegetable broth (I used Swanson's)


14 oz package frozen chopped broccoli


2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (I use sharp cheddar)


3 tablespoons sweet rice flour


1 - 12 oz. can evaporated milk


salt & pepper to taste


Heat vegetable broth in a very large saucepan or a small stockpot. Add the frozen broccoli and cook until tender. Use a stick blender to puree this mixture (if you don't have a stick blender a regular blender can be used if you CAREFULLY puree the hot soup in SMALL batches; be sure to cover blender tightly!). If you have pureed the soup in a regular blender, return it to the cooking pot heating over medium heat. Add the rice flour to the cheese and mix well. Add the cheese mixture to the soup and stir constantly until the cheese is melted and the mixture starts to thicken. Add the evaporated milk and heat through. Salt and pepper to taste. Yield: 4-6 servings.
*Recipe adapted from www.theglutigirls.com
Enjoy!








2 comments:

  1. I LOVE broccoli cheese soup! It's one of my comfort foods, but I've never tried to make it. I don't know why. It's just always been a treat at a restaurant, but now I'm afraid to eat it out...so I should make it!! My exchange student it a veggie phob! I don't even think she would try it, she won't even try apple sauce. The only vegetables I've seen her eat are carrots and corn. I'm at a loss! Thanks for the recipe!! I'll give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it too Wendy! You won't believe how easy and delicious this recipe is.

    Enjoy...

    Cheers!
    Cinde :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Button and signature by Blogger Boutique.