Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Rhubarb Pineapple Crisp - Gluten Free





The weather was so gorgeous last weekend... I spent as much time as I could working in my garden. As I was lowering a blueberry bush into the ground, my neighbor called over to me and asked if I would like some rhubarb that she had just harvested from her garden.  I enthusiastically thanked my neighbor and carried those beautiful huge stalks of pinkish red rhubarb into my kitchen. I knew just what to do... make a classic fruit crisp. I did add a bit of crushed pineapple to the rhubarb to add sweetness since I read that rhubarb is naturally on the sour side, and it turned out to be a match made in heaven. Strawberries are often used in rhubarb recipes for this reason. Of course I promptly delivered half of the warm crisp to my generous rhubarb-sharing neighbor. After tasting it she said I could bring it over anytime. Try it with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream for a truly comforting dessert that delivers an old-fashioned country flair.

Rhubarb Pineapple Crisp - Gluten Free

4 cups fresh rhubarb, cut into 1/4 inch slices

1 1/4 cup crushed pineapple, drained

1 cup GF flour blend (I used Bette Hagman's Featherlight Flour blend found in this great book )

1 3/4 cups sugar, divided

1 tsp. baking powder

1 egg, beaten

1/4 pound butter, melted

Butter an 8 inch square baking dish. Mix the rhubarb, pineapple and 1/2 cup sugar in a bowl. Put the fruit in the bottom of the prepared baking dish. In a bowl, mix together the flour, 1 1/4 cups sugar and baking powder. Add the beaten egg and mix well with a fork or your fingertips (I prefer my fingertips), until the flour is dampened and in small clumps. Scatter the flour mixture evenly over the fruit. Drizzle the melted butter evenly over the top. Using the back of a spoon distribute the butter over all. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 40-45 minutes or until topping is golden brown and fruit is fork tender. Serve warm with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream if desired. Yield: 6 servings
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Button and signature by Blogger Boutique.