Monday, January 24, 2011

{Article Series} My Family's Favorite Gluten Free Eats: Seafood



Since I am frequently asked what gluten free foods my family eats I decided to start an article series called My Family's Favorite Gluten Free Eats.  

When people first discover that my family is gluten free they automatically assume we have a difficult time finding things to eat.  While it is true that gluten free convenience foods are not always readily available (or palatable for that matter), there are always an abundance of naturally gluten free whole foods to choose from at every market.

In my family the most commonly eaten main dishes revolve around seafood, largely in part to the fact that two of my family members are pescetarians.  Some of our friends and family seemed surprised to hear that we enjoy seafood meals about three times a week.  The fact is, we never grow tired of seafood; we have several "go to"seafood recipes that are delicious and easy to prepare even on busy week nights.

Above all, my mission is to purchase the freshest possible seafood. Unfortunately I don't have any local fish markets near my home, so I have been purchasing my seafood at the grocery store.  I have heard that to order seafood online is a great option for ensuring the freshest possible seafood, as it is often shipped directly after it is caught versus being frozen for long periods of time.


My family's favorite ways to eat seafood:

- Italian Style Shrimp in an herbed tomato broth with feta cheese broiled on top (served with Udi's Gluten Free Whole Grain Bread to sop up the yummy sauce)

- Shrimp Tacos with homemade Pico de Gallo and guacamole and lime wedges

- Baked Tilapia Fillets with a potato flake crust and tartar sauce (we make our own tartar sauce by mixing equal parts of mayonnaise & sweet pickle relish)

- Broiled Lobster Tail ( $$$ usually reserved for special occasions)

- Sweet Chili Shrimp with scallions and white rice

- Shrimp Gumbo with white rice (pure comfort food!)

- Fish and Chips

- Shrimp & Vegetable Tempura (time consuming, but so worth it!)

- Baked Orange Roughy (or other white fish) seasoned with lemon, salt and paprika

- Homemade Fish Sticks with a cornmeal crust (the kids love them!)

- Grilled Salmon (tastes great no matter how we choose to season it!)

These are the most frequent seafood dishes that we eat, but certainly not the only ones.  There are so many exciting ways to prepare seafood that it never gets boring!

If you have any fabulous gluten free seafood recipe ideas you would like to share please leave a comment... I would appreciate it! Also, I would love to hear from anyone who orders online seafood; please share your your experience with all of us.

If you haven't given seafood a fair shake, think again (unless you're allergic, of course). ;-)  It is not only good for you, but delicious and naturally gluten free as well!  What's not to love?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Button and signature by Blogger Boutique.